Saturday, July 23, 2011

Ice Cream on Sundays

When I was growing up, my parents had a Sunday night ritual for our family. It wasn’t much; it wasn’t extravagant or exciting, but it was special to us. In fact, it’s now one of my most beloved childhood memories. During this time, our family didn’t have a lot of extra money to spend, but my parents made sure my sister and I never felt this difficulty. They made sure that the adventures we had as a family outweighed material possessions.

One adventure was that Sunday night ritual of a weekly trip to Dairy Queen. I can still remember sitting in the backseat of our van or in between my parents in my Daddy’s little red truck and relishing the anticipation of a chocolate-dipped cone. We’d always go through the drive-thru. My Daddy would always order us the same ice cream, and I would always enjoy every little lick.

My husband Jeremy and I decided to go out for ice cream last Sunday night, and I was reminded of this special time with my parents, reminded that having a lot of money and a lot of things is nothing compared to having each other and maybe an ice cream cone now and again.

It was pretty late Sunday evening, and as we pulled up to Sonic to get our treat, I was slightly amazed at the number of people in the parking lot, also enjoying a Sunday night indulgence. I smiled as we enjoyed our ice cream and wondered if there were any children there visiting, lapping up the time spent with their parents and the special pleasure of a simple ice cream cone.

I certainly hope so.

In a time of smart phones, social networking, great advances in technology, I think we sometimes forget simple pleasures such as this. I think sometimes we get so caught up in what we have and what we don’t have that we miss out on some great moments in life, moments that even money can’t buy.  I sometimes lose sight of those moments myself.

In fact, I’ve often thought that I may be the very last person in the world who doesn’t own a smart phone or an iPad or even an iPod. I think of myself as being kind of behind sometimes, feeling like the rest of the world is speeding by me with all the latest technology, the best cars, the most beautiful houses. Thankfully, when these thoughts arrive, I usually put them to rest pretty quickly. Because I am blessed with so much more than the latest gadgets or the best clothes or cars, I am blessed with love.

I have moments of sitting on the front porch as the sun falls below the horizon. I own a scruffy little vegetable garden that produces the juiciest tomatoes, the most beautiful yellow squash, and the hottest Cayenne peppers. I covet time spent with my husband as we argue over Jeopardy or our differing taste in movies and books, as we cherish a home-cooked meal with turnip greens and cornbread. I greedily hold on to the sheer beauty of a roof over my head, air conditioning cooling our rooms, lights illuminating our lives. I’m blessed in little ways that are amazing and overwhelming and huge.

I may not have the latest smart phone. Heck, I may not even have a smart phone. And I may not drive the best or most beautiful car. I don’t have a big-screen television or a blu-ray player or even a DVR. My clothes aren’t designer, and my shoes aren't even the least bit chic. But I am undoubtedly blessed in hundreds of 
ways, not the least of which is ice cream on Sundays.




Author's Note: I'm linking this post up with a weekly Dare to Share Link Up with the Lightning and the Lightning Bug Writing Community. This community is for experienced and new writers alike, a supportive place for you to share your words. The Dare to Share Link Up is a weekly link up which has a new theme each week. You can share any kind of post in this link up, be it fiction, non-fiction, or poetry...you can share an old or a new post. I encourage you to hop over to the Lightning and the Lightning Bug and check things out! You'll not only find a place to share your work, but you'll also find some great reads. 


I'm also linking up with Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop for the first time. This week's prompt was: "The Simple Things."


Mama Kat's

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...