Thursday, September 23, 2010

popcorn for breakfast

For as long as I can remember, I've had incredibly strange eating habits. At least, everyone else seems to think they're strange; to me, I'm as normal as they come, but my normal doesn't exactly match the normal normal. And frankly, I wouldn't want to be too normal normal, cause where's the fun in that? The point is my meals and the things that I eat may not always be traditional in the strictest sense of the word. From time to time, I might eat popcorn for breakfast, a bag of potato chips for lunch, and microwaved pepperonis for dinner. Yum-O!

These habits probably formed during my teenage years. When I was old enough to be home by myself during an entire summer, I ran with my new found freedom; I enjoyed it to utmost and threw out the rules of waking in the morning and sleeping at night. I ran wild. I was a rebel without a cause. My rebellion came in the form of sleeping till noon and staying up until 4 am and eating whatever I damned well pleased. Much to the consternation of my parents (my mom, in particular, who worked long and hard to instill good eating habits), I was a complete and utter junk food hog.

Then college came, and I became even less inclined to eat in what anyone else thought of as a "normal" way. The college years consisted of lots of Ramen noodles, lots of microwaved pepperonis with olives and cheese(a personal favorite meal), and lots and lots of chips. The thing that drove these strange eating habits was a personality trait that I've now left far, far behind: I, quite simply, was a picky eater. As an adult, I have developed slightly more discerning taste buds, but I haven't quite left all of my bad eating habits behind.

My co-workers will attest to the fact that most of my lunch-time meals consist of something out of a vending machine, and I will still occasionally have popcorn for breakfast. But all-in-all, I now appreciate the value of a great meal, and cooking is one of my favorite past-times; although, I probably won't ever fully leave behind my sordid food past.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving ♥!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...